St Edward’s Catholic Primary School PE and sport premium for primary schools
At St Edward’s school we use the sports premium funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport we offer. We have developed and added to the PE and sport activities that our school already offers and we have made improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport - is allocated to primary school headteachers. The funding is solely spent on the provision of PE and sport in schools.
At St Edward’s School we believe that physical education, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is a unique and vital contributor to a pupil’s physical development and well-being. A broad and balanced physical education curriculum is intended to provide for pupils’ increasing self-confidence in their ability to manage themselves and their bodies within a variety of movement situations. Progressive learning objectives, combined with sympathetic and varied teaching approaches, endeavor to provide stimulating, enjoyable, satisfying and appropriately challenging learning experiences for all pupils. Through the selection of suitable differentiation and logically developed tasks, it is intended that pupils, irrespective of their innate ability, shall enjoy success and be motivated to develop further their individual potential and take part in lifelong physical activity.
Impact of PE and Sport Premium
Sport and PE is highly prioritised at St Edward’s and this funding has enabled the school’s passion for sports to relish. Our ambition and goal are to raise the profile of sport in the school and to ensure inclusive participation from all pupils in sport. As a result:
- All children have the opportunity to participate in sporting activities at lunchtime
- St Edward’s enters all borough inter-schools competitions
- St Edward’s are currently placing in the ‘top positions’ at competitions
- PE standards are exceptionally high at St Edward’s, substantiated by the school data
- There is a structured training programme for staff through team teaching with specialist coaches
- Partnership with West Ham Football Club delivers a high quality physical education as part of the curriculum as the club provides highly qualified coaches to deliver multi sports sessions at the School, which in turn increases the opportunities that our children get to compete in competitive school sports. The children absolutely love the WHU coaches as they are always enthusiastic and go above and beyond to stretch and inspire our children.
- We are a member of the Langdon Academy Sport Partnership which allows access to Partnership competitions, NQT Support and Network meetings which keeps members up to date of any Government and NGBs strategies.
Our target for future spending is the following:
Provide staff with professional development, mentoring, training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively and embed physical activity across our school – St Edward’s will be thinking about buying into a new scheme of work for teaching PE that can be rolled out across the whole school. St Edward’s will continue to use the PE and Sport Premium to enter more competitions, participate in the Langdon Academy Sport Partnership, invest in more specialist coaches and continue to raise the standards of PE in the school.